Monday, November 10, 2008

Am I an oddity?

Before you chuckle at the title of this particular blog I wanna say "Hush"!

I am definitely not a "normal" girl. Sure, I get bitchy and hormonal but I also have (apparently) a very guy-like sense of humor. Which basically means that I am not that flirty girl that other girls feel threatened by, more like the "kid sister" kind of girl. 99% of people I come in contact with are guys, OH the joys of being attached to the Army, and they all seem to treat me as if they have known me forever.
As far back as I can remember, I have had better relationships (read: friendships) with dudes. For example, in high school I had a "big brother" Bill, who felt protective. Although Bill was great to me, he turned out to be a douche to his lovely wife, Heather... Even some of my previous neighbors have felt the comfort to torture me (MIKE! JASON! Yup I am calling you out!)
Even now, I have these friendships that to the outside world, would seem odd or inappropriate, that are so comfortable with our weird sense of humor. Like Lew...whom I call "daddy" says I am his favorite hooker...how many girls would think that is an endearing nickname...or Jeremy who feels the need to always knock my hair...! Even TJ, whom I hadn't seen in two-plus years, starts up within minutes of seeing me.
But my delimma is, what does this mean for me? Does this mean I don't relate well with women? Am I looked at as a threat?

I couldn't imagine my friendships being any different than they are. I love to be challenged and apparently people like to challenge me. I am not always a good sport, like I said before I do get hormonal. I try to take it in stride because I *hope* that the teasing and mocking aren't a true reflection on how they view me. Perhaps there are more women out there wondering if they too are an oddity for "getting" guys.

2 comments:

Kallay said...

i'm odd too. no worries. it's hard to find women who aren't carrying knives for backstabbing. it's just the way it is. as confused as men are with women, so are we. the sick thing is that we ARE women so one would think that we would "get" it. but we don't. i guess God forgot that gene too. oh well. i like the friends that i have. you're great just the way you are.

Kallay said...

wasn't sure where to leave a comment about your quote over there ------>

but i like it.